Sunday, October 17, 2010

Family, Friends and Fall

We had a fabulous day yesterday! It was filled with the three F's Family, Friends and Fall. The 4th F would be feathers I suppose but we will get to that later. I couldn't help but feel fall in the air yesterday, the crisp coolness of the air is truly dreamy to me. The colors and the smells and overall freshness that Fall brings is quite intoxicating at times.

The morning started with a family breakfast. I didn't take any pictures but I can assure you that I have the cutest niece and nephew and kids in the world......

Photobucket
Next up was the pumpkin patch and guess who we brought along for the first time......

Photobucket
Our Daddy-Man!

Its tradition for everyone to pick their own pumpkin the only rule being you have to put it in the wagon yourself. Elliot is always determined to find the biggest one he can possibly lift and this year his weighed 26lbs.
Photobucket

Photobucket
I also think this is the first year Grace didn't pick a green pumpkin.

The next part of our day was equally fun. My friend Lea invited our little family over to butcher some roosters and hens that were ready to pass on:)

There is alot involved in the process and I was so happy she asked me to come and be part of the day. I have been very interested in sustainable and organic living over the last couple of years and in knowing that she graciously offered to teach me how to do this.

Photobucket
This is a freshly captured rooster. You hang them upside down to calm them before...well you know.

Photobucket
After some examination we discovered that this particular rooster was a "keeper" so we released him to live another day on the chicken farm and went back for one of his brothers.

Photobucket
Lea told me to wave to the camera. This is the finished product after plucking, de-gutting and cleaning.

I must say I made soup out of them today and it was the most beautiful, velvety stock I have ever had. Thanks so much Lea and family for inviting us over. The hot-dogs and PB smores were a perfect end to the day!! Can't wait for more chicken adventures.

3 comments:

The Mom said...

It was a good time! I am glad you guys joined in. 3 Gold stars to Brian for helping too.
-Lea

Ed / Julie said...

Really, REALLY, REALLY glad that all Lea invited ME over for was to teach me how to can applesauce.

Andrea said...

You are so cute. I love the picture of you and the "finished product!"
Your kids are so beautiful and getting so big.
Take care.