Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Risotto.....yum.

I think I have told you all before but I love myself some risotto. It is truly heavenly to me. And although I have heard time and time again how scared people are to make it, it really is easy peasy to make. Does it take time...yes about 25 minutes. Does it take effort.....yes that 25 minutes is all stirring people. But the end result is one of the best forms of comfort food this side of my pot roast (swoon).

Photobucket
I included a photo this time...you all better be proud of me. I pretty much stink at food photography.

Okay so the recipe. First, I must say this is only one of 2 bajillion ways you can make risotto. And it is also a dish that changes with the seasons quite marvelously. Actually as I was make this variation I was dreaming of butternut squash risotto, yes I was cheating on my risotto, shame, shame.

Bacon Leek Risotto

1 Tablespoon of olive oil
6 slices of Bacon
2 leeks thinly sliced, white and pale green parts only
1 1/2 cups of arborio rice
3/4 cup of apple juice (typically you use white wine but I have found with this variation the apple juice is nothing short of the bomb)
5 cups homemade stock, veggie chicken whatever but homemade is the best. Especially if the homemade comes from the homegrown chickens over at Cackleberry Farms. Call up my girl Lea she's my chicken broker.
1 tablespoon of butter
2 tablespoon of parmesan cheese

Bring your stock to a simmer in a pan on your stove (this is my first tip) keep your stock hot!

Cook off your bacon in a large shallow skillet. This is my second tip the larger the better the shallower the better.

Remove bacon from pan and put leeks into bacon grease. Cook until softish about 5 minutes just until they start to brown.

Remove 2 tablespoons of leeks from pan for garnish later on.

Add rice to pan and stir around. slowly pour in apple juice. Stir until the apple juice is absorbed.

Now I like to keep a ladle in the pot with my stock. Ladle in some stock, I do a ladleful at a time.

Now its time to get your stir on. Make sure that you have some good music on your kids are occupied and happy because you are now married to the rice for the next 20-25 minutes.

Stir in a figure eight pattern until the stock is absorbed. Keep adding stock by the ladleful and stirring until all of the stock is absorbed.

Then add the butter and parm. Top with bacon and reserved leeks.

I also top ours with an egg. Sounds weird but it is delicious and provides you with some extra protein. The kids and Brian prefer theirs scrambled (which I find slightly appalling) I have mine over easy. But you can serve yours however you wish if you feel real fancy you can even top with a poached egg.

So there you have it. Doesn't sound to hard does it? As always let me know if you have a chance to make the recipe.

Angry Blueberry over and out:)

No comments: