Saturday, June 4, 2011

Meanwhile Back At The Ranch

Life is getting back to whatever normal is. Our focus seems to be back in the direction that I like it to be, meaning the four of us and our large envelope of regular responsibilities.

This week I heard that Gungor (a christian band that Brian and I love), was going to be playing at church in Mill Creek on Friday. So on a whim I asked Brian if he would want to go, of course he did. So we asked my mom to watch the kids and off we went. Now i know we just had an overnight away, but this was our first date in a long time, just the two of us, sneeking away, doing something out of the ordinary. I am just not the kind of girl that likes to "waste" date night on a movie or concert, I would much rather go for dinner and partake in an activity and talk without kids. But this was going to be an exception to my rule, and I am so glad we did it.

Now a little back story is, I have been missing a lot of church lately and not because I am not there every Sunday but because I teach Sunday School almost every week during the service and if I am not teaching we are leading worship during the service, wah wah (please don't feel sorry for me, its what we do and we love it). However with the last month going the way it has I have needed me a good old fashioned church service with a challenging message and no distractions or responsibilities. However I didn't realize I could get just what I needed attending a concert, with loud loud music and millions of youth groupers giggling and jumping around. I really should know better by now that God reaches you on His terms and in His time, doesn't matter where you are. And he reached me there in that place last night, it was the most beautiful worship I have experienced in some time. When I first got there my mind immediately thought we should have brought the youth group kids with us (this is how I get myself into trouble always thinking of a way to work and to serve). But little did I know God took me all the way to Mill Creek with the love of my life and and blessed me right there.

I love Gungor for many reasons. One- they do what they want, I mean they have a cello playing with a rock band and they use weird instruments like the melodica and bells and chimes, its amazing. Two- they are self proclaimed hippies, no need for explanation you know I love myself some hippie time. Three- they are authentic to themselves and do not stick to any one style its amazing, God is using them to bless others in a big way and it is so apparent. Four - They are a husband wife combo and I love that, Brian and I are able to worship God together side by side and lead our congregation and it is one of the greatest blessings in our marriage, not that we are anywhere close to as talented as they are, it all in the experience. My first time hearing them was after Brian attended a worship conference for leaders in Bellevue this past fall. Gungor was there to teach a session Brian attended and he fell in love. He came home and showed me this video I was hooked. We immediately learned the song and sang it for special music at church. Minus the leaves and twigs unfortunately. Beautiful Things (I have been listening to this album like a fifteen year old girl with the newest Taylor Swift Cd) is the name of one of their albums and I totally recommend picking it up, its great. Another song they wrote is called Please Be My Strength, I cannot tell you how many times I have listened to this song in the last 6 weeks, it has been a strong point for me, and when they sang it last night I weeped, God has used that song to bless me so much. Michael Gungor introduced the song by saying sometimes you breath out out out so much that you forget to breath in. I couldn't have pinpointed what I needed better than he did in that moment and the song took on a whole new meaning for me. And once again I was reminded of what a roller coaster my faith can take me on sometimes. I will share the lyrics at the end of the post it is a beautiful song...it was a beautiful concert and I can't believe for only $15 I was able to experience that.

Readership is down on the blog lately....I know it has probably been a depressing place to come and read lately. I am not going to apologize...this blog has been a place for me to be real and hold me accountable for what my life is really like. There are a lot of things that I can't say out loud, there are a lot of things I can't share with my kids yet, and isn't it always easier to say that you are fine when you are not. I don't want to forget I went through these experiences, I don't want to forget how God pulled me through, I don't want to forget the things that have shaped me into me, and some day whens its time I want my kids to read this and realize that I had struggles too. So I can't promise to write about happy fluffy things all the time, I can promise to be honest though and as authentic as possible and true to what God is doing with me and for me. Life is full of seasons and chapters, so happy, some sad but all great and full either way.

At the end of our wedding ceremony we sang the doxology, I was reminded of that last night. What a constant theme the words have been for me in our little life. However the blessings don't always come from the places you expect them to because God is so much bigger than that and his plan is so much more vast. We are a blessed people even in our suffering, and if you take the time to slow down and take the time to breath in once in awhile it doesn't take to much time to realize that!

So that's my soap box for now. Hope you try out Gungor they are amazing. But more than that I hope that you can find God wherever your are at in your journey in this crazy world, and get to know the promises he has for you, faith in Him He is the only one that can offer you new life.

Please Be My Strength
Gungor

I've tried to stand my ground
I've tried to understand
But I can't seem to find
My faith again

Like water on the sand
Or grasping at the wind
I keep on falling short

So please be my strength
Please be my strength
'Cause I don't have any more
I don't have any more

I'm looking for a place
Where I can plant my faith
One thing I know for sure

I cannot create it
And I cannot sustain it
It's Your love
That's keeping me

Please be my strength
Please be my strength
I don't have any more
I don't have any more

And at my final breath
I hope that I can say
I fought the good fight
Of faith

I pray your glory shines
This doubting heart of mine
And all would know that You

You are my strength
You are my strength
You and You alone
You keep bringing me back home

Oh, You are my strength
You are my strength
You and You alone
Keep bringing me back home

It's You and You alone
Bringing me back home

1 comment:

Ed / Julie said...

Thanks for being real. The lyrics struck a chord with me. Later today, when I have more time, I'm gonna have to watch that video and find their music. Your experience sounds much like an experience I am waiting for. <3