Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mystery Woman I long to be like you......

Here is another thought conjured up from a video that I watched during Bible Study this morning. May I again share that IMO (in my opinion) Beth Moore is a genius, a truly wonderful woman who loves God and is humble enough to share her shortcomings as well. Altogether making herself out to be someone to admire and love.

Well this morning we again were studying the different things that come up in our live that make being a woman quite tough. Now remember these things are not brought up to make us feel sorry for ourselves but rather help us overcome and move forward. Enough rambling! Anyway she highlighted Proverbs 31:10-31. First of all I am going to write (and/or ramble a bit) then I will share the passage. The woman the passage describes is one I can relate to in part however much of what is displayed I can only long to be. She is a Mystery Woman. I can admit in all honesty that I pull the covers over my head when I hear the first rustlings upstairs out of a bit of fear in knowing that this bit of noise means I will need to get out of the warm cozy nest I call my bed. So cross out the part they says about getting up while its still dark I don't do that purposely in effort to provide for my family it is more out of necessity (shame on me I know I am just not much of a morning flower:). But now moving on from what I am not I would like to say that this passage encompasses a lot of what I long to be especially in regards to being a wife. This past year was full and at times quite heavy. In fact there were quite a few times where I had to hand the reigns over to my husband and hope and pray that he could handle doing my job and his at the same time. I can report to you that he did a marvelous job and most often times surprised me in all that he was able to do. But then he would pass the reigns back and ever so humbly and gently tell me he didn't mind helping out but he wouldn't want my job (thanks babe). I will also admit I stink at asking for help and often realize I should have asked when its to late. So asking my husband for help is something I hadn't done a lot in our marriage. I truly believe God used the times when I had no choice to let go of my normal job title and assume others to teach me how to be a supportive wife and to bring Brian good not harm. I had to hold my tongue and realize things would get done maybe not my way but everyone would be okay in the end so what did it really matter if the kids didn't match when going to school or if he got the kids ready for the day in the opposite order from me. So much of the last almost 8 years have been filled with being a mommy that sometimes I have forgotten how important it is to be a wife. Brian even made the comment the other day that he felt so much more a part of our daily lives around here in the last year. There are many reasons for this but I suspect one of them is that I have needed him to be but also because I have stepped aside and let him figure out how to do things his way. It is a bit humbling to admit these things out loud however I can honestly say I hadn't really realized the result of my actions. And I don't think that Brian would say he missed out on anything or that he even felt slighted. I just think there is way more to this wife business then I ever thought of. So now that I am done diapering and nursing and all of the other things that come with being a mother to a baby or toddler that needs you every second I am going to go back to my first job after being a child of God and that is being a wife to my husband. I love this man more that anyone on the planet and I want to honor and respect him a way that helps him to be able to accomplish and experience all of the many goals and things that God gives him. I know that God is the ultimate provider and he is calling me to be a supporter.

So in saying all of this I will again admit that I am a work in progress and as long as God keeps working I am okay with this. I would also love to meet this Mystery Woman, this Wife of Noble Character and I hope that when I do I am wise enough to sit on the edge of my seat and soak her up the best I can.

Proverbs 31:10-31
Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character

10-A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11-Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12-She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13-She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14-She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15-She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
16-She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a
vineyard.
17-She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18-She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19-In her hands she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her
fingers.
20-She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21-When it snows, she has no fear for her
household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22-She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23-Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24-She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25-She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26-She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27-She watches over the affairs of her
household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28-Her children arise and and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29-"Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
30-Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to
be praised.
31-Give her the reward she has earned
and let her works bring her praise at
the city gate.

No comments: