Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New Yummy Recipe.....Verde Chicken Lasagna

Ok so this recipe was so awesome. I took another recipe and jazzed it up adding some more sophisticated ingredients and taking out some of the less desirable ones.

Now with this recipe you could totally add frozen or canned or fresh veggies in between the layers. I just find that my kids don't like to come across unannounced veggies so its better if I serve them on the side. Don't get me wrong they love an odd amount of vegetables they just would rather not have them mixed in. Also even though the recipe calls for a bit of mild salsa feel free to use as spicy or as mild as your family likes. My kids gobbled it up and asked for seconds.

Anywho onto the recipe. I would give you guys pictures of the recipes I share but for some reason food photos and I don't mix...they never turn out that well.

Verde Chicken Lasagna
425 degrees for 15 minutes

1/2lb - 1 lb chicken cooked off and taken off the bone. I used 6 boneless chicken thighs. This would also be a chance for you to shred up some chicken leftover from another meal.
1 cup black beans
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/3 cup goat cheese
dash of cayenne - the size of the dash is up to you
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups chopped onions
6 garlic cloves
1 cup chicken stock
2/3 cup verde salsa
1/4 cup water
9 corn tortillas
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1
In a pan saute 1/2 cup of onion for about 3-5 minutes, then add 3 cloves of garlic-minced stir together quickly and place it in a bowl.

2
To the bowl add shredded chicken, 1/2 of the cilantro, and seasonings and mix it up.

3
Combine remaining 1 1/2 cups onion, remaining 3 cloves of garlic-minced, chicken stock, salsa and water in a saucepan and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and either blend in blender, food processor, or if you have an immersion blender nows the time to use it.

4
Warm tortillas, in the microwave or in a fry pan(I used a fry pan and that's what I suggest it crisps them up up just a bit) Cut them into 4 pieces each.

5
Spray 8 x8 casserole with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup of salsa mixture in the bottom of the dish. Arrange 12 quarters of tortilla to cover the salsa. Spoon 1/2 of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas, then 1/2 cup of black beans and repeat the layers ending with tortillas and remaining sauce. Top it off with the shredded cheese and voila you have a yummy meal ready to go in the oven.

Bake it for about 15 minutes at 425 degrees or until the top is a bit bubbly.

Like I said the whole family loved this one. And as always leave me a comment letting me know if you tried it. I love the feedback!

Enjoy!!

No comments: