Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Stockin up the Stock.

I ran out of stock. Sad Day. And although the days of veggie stock are coming upon us I needed me some meat stock. Thankfully my sister had some soup bones and didn't know what do with them. I agreed to make the stock if she would let me keep some:) She agreed and handed over four huge packages. So that is what we are doing to day. Stockin up the Stock.

IMG_0890

Did you know you can and should be cooking all of those grains in stock. Cous Cous, Quinoa, pasta, rice. Not only does it enhance the flavor but it soaks up the nutrients as well. Making some of those empty filler foods a bit more healthy. Quinoa is my favorite but israeli cous cous is a close second.

1 cup stock
2/3 cup orange juice
1 1/3 cup cous cous. I like israeli but any type will do.

1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup dried cherries
2 stalks celery, finely diced
Bunch of baby arugula, finely chopped
1-3 squashed garlics finely chopped. If you aren't a fan of raw garlic leave it out. or use shallots.
I add a handful of feta cheese as well.

Combine first 3 ingredients in a sauce pan and cook as package directed.

Mix together the orange juice, olive oil and balsamic add the dry cherries place in a another sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Once they come to a simmer turn off the pan and let them sit.

When Cous Cous is finished lay out on parchment paper to cool.

When it is cool add all remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix together drizzling any remaining liquid fromt he cherries over top.

And Voila you have yourself a family friendly delicious salad that is actually healthy as well.

61220876154095321_x8uXm45F_f

And just a note make sure to find the local produce stands in your area. Most large produce stands look great and are a great hold over in winter months for some items. But most of their products still travels hundreds of 1000s of miles to get to us. Shop local its the best way. And Whatcom County has a great selection of locally grown produce over the summer and into the fall.

Here is the link to one of my favorite stands.
http://www.fieldofgreens.biz/
They always have a list of what they have fresh on their website each week. This is very I shop not only for my family but for my clients as well. Amazing quality and great people!! And if you go buy a bag of their "salad mix." You won't be disappointed.

We start swimming lessons today. I am praying the sun will make an appearance around 2:30 this afternoon:)

No comments: